Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan
Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan: an easy and super tasty side dish to any main dish in 20 minutes. We like these with grilled pork, beef, chicken or any salmon dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This easy how-to recipe is one impressive side dish that literally takes less than 20 minutes to make. Many of you most likely have already tried very similar recipe to this. Let’s face it…what more you need besides some salt, pepper, oil and cheese to make these asparagus taste best ever! It simply is irresistible.
I tried asparagus for the very first time few years back in a pickled version and did not enjoy as much. It was a hello and goodbye asparagus moment. About a year ago, I decided to give it another try. I love meals with cheese and if I could I would add pounds of it into each meal, but not everyone in the family is such a cheese fan. Adding some Parmesan cheese to the asparagus made a huge difference. The taste kind of reminds of the traditional fried potatoes that every Slavic family makes and enjoys very often. That’s how this recipe became my favorite way to enjoy asparagus.
What are Some Benefits of Asparagus?
I’m not a nutritionist, but I do know that asparagus is really good for the body. Literally all vegetables and fruits are.
- Low in calories, but full of vitamins and minerals, especially folate and vitamins A, C and K.
- Packed with antioxidants
- Can improve digestive health
- Helps lower blood pressure – contains potassium
- Weight-loss friendly and easy to incorporate into diet
How to Select Best Asparagus:
You can find asparagus all-year round in the grocery stores. At least that’s true for us in WA. In spring and summer, you can find younger asparagus crown that’s thin and cooks faster. In winter, you will most likely find thicker asparagus that comes from an older asparagus crown and takes longer to cook. Which is better, thick or thin? The size does not matter, but the freshness is important when selecting asparagus. I prefer thinner so I always look for thin asparagus spears. They both taste the same and are equally tender and sweet. Be sure to adjust the timing as thinner will bake faster unless you like it really baked (like we do) then go for the longer timing.
Ingredients Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan:
- Organic asparagus (thin or thick)
- Olive oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
How to Trim Asparagus:
There are couple ways for trimming asparagus. We prefer to snap off the ends by holding the bottom third of the spear with both hands and bend to snap. It will naturally break where the fibrous portions ends and the tender part of spear begins. You can also cut off about 1 – 1 ½“ of each spear. Sometimes for thinner spears the snapping might not work so well, so don’t be disappointed. Just use the knife to trim the ends.
How to Make Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan:
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Arrange trimmed asparagus in a single layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Toss to evenly coat all the spears.
- Bake at 400°F for 12-15 minutes until tender. Serve right away.
More Side-Dish Recipes to Explore:
- Oven Baked Potato Wedges – tender, seasoned with Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs
- Oven Roasted Pepper Salad Recipe – so refreshing, sweet, colorful and so easy
- Quick Oven Roasted Potatoes – simple recipe with combo of dill and thyme herbs to bring out the flavor in this easy dish
- Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Tea Sandwiches – elegant, delicious and simple treat
- Sprats and Pickles Tea Sandwiches (Canapes) – combo of tangy pickles and sprats on a slice of bread
Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan
- Rinse and paper towel pat dry 12-16 oz asparagus and snap off the ends. (Asparagus ends are fibrous and must be removed before cooking – they snap easily where the fibrous part ends).
- Preheat the oven to a 400°F with the rack in the center. Line parchment paper with baking sheet.
- Arrange trimmed asparagus on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and lightly sprinkle with 1/4 tsp kosher salt and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper. Grate 1/3 cup parmesan cheese over asparagus. Toss asparagus to evenly coat all the spears.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of asparagus) until lightly browned, tender and easily pierced with fork. Remove from the oven and serve.