Welcome to my Kitchen!
I’m so glad you’re here! I’m Olga. I’m a wife, mother, cook, blogger, photographer and well known for my desserts. My goal is to give you the confidence in cooking and baking from scratch with well-tested recipes and easy step-by-step photo tutorials. I come from a family who absolutely love to cook, bake and eat! From a very young age, I had been spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I watched my mom and older sisters cook and bake delicious and the fun part – we always did it as a team! Since childhood, I held on to those moments and as I was reaching into my teens, I became more involved in the kitchen. I always thought of myself as more of a baker than a cook, but when I got married it started balancing out between baking and cooking.
My Little Family
My husband Tony and I got married in 2012. Late 2013 we were blessed with our daughter Eveleen and in spring 2017 another blessing – our son Anton. These two angels are our blessing and they are huge help in the kitchen and in general. Without them, our lives would be boring. They keep us young, refreshed and energized. Life is good! No, life is great!
Why I Started Food Blog
I started blogging in early 2016 and switched my domain 3 times until it officially became Olga in the Kitchen early 2017. It started as a personal blog and easy way to share my recipes with friends and family. Because I love to host, I get a chance to share my talents with my guests. Having guests over means going crazy with cooking and especially baking! Whenever someone came to visit, they all knew Olga had something baking in the oven. I was constantly asked for recipes and decided it was time to put all of them into one place.
Even with my high school computer classes, starting a blog was a huge challenge. I was not ready to spend money on website design. With so much research, I was able to set-up my blog and started posting recipes. In addition to blogging, I also help my husband with flooring business, dealing with the paperwork and tax filing. I’m a very busy mama!
On my blog, you’ll find all from-scratch recipes, especially desserts. I don’t bake from boxes, but if I do it’s only a spur-of-the-moment thing that I keep to myself. Most of these recipes were passed down to me from my mom, my sisters or our old recipe books brought from Ukraine. Many are my own creations. As for right now, all of my recipes include step-by-step photo tutorials and I started making quick video tutorials as well, where you can find them on the Video page or sign up for my YouTube channel.
Short Family History
My whole family reside in Washington State since 1999. We immigrated from Kostopil, Ukraine. Washington has lots of pine trees, yellow leaves, little sun in summer and almost-never snow in winter. My whole family is actively involved in Ukrainian Slavic Pentecostal Church. We love, follow and live by the Word of God. Ever since we were little kids, we love to sing. I sing in a group with my sister and 3 brothers. I also learned to play piano and write music from scratch when I was younger. Of course, after I got married, had 2 kids, started blogging – I kind of stopped playing piano. No time for everything but I’m about to fix that in very near future. It’s part of me just like cooking and baking are.
10 Fun Facts About Me:
- I graduated from high school semester early and completed 4 year college with Accounting and Business Management Associates Degrees.
- I love coffee, no sugar. Milk or half and half only. I cannot start my day without it.
- I completely dislike Math, but I always loved English subject and writing.
- I’m the youngest girl in the family and #6 child from the top.
- For almost 2 years, I worked as a bookkeeper (7 months after marriage and a stay-home-mom since).
- I LOVE to joke – part of my personality my husband loves about me!
- I’m always serious on the outside, but I’m a very happy person inside. That might explain the serious photo on my profile. Back in high school, teachers mistaken me for senior when I was just a freshman.
- I love fresh flowers. It will be a shock if there are no fresh flowers on my kitchen table!
- I don’t eat seafood! Besides salmon, white fish, tilapia or anything in that category, I had never eaten any.
- I don’t eat mushrooms, celery or anything spicy such a jalapeno.
There are many ways we can keep in touch. Subscribe via email to know when a new post is published. Follow on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or like my Facebook Page or you can simply comment or e-mail me. If you’d like your recipe to be featured on my blog, please email me by clicking here.
I truly hope Olga in the Kitchen will be your first stop to Ukrainian recipes for any occasion, especially the major gatherings and holidays.
Thank you for visiting Olga in the Kitchen!